Friday, July 28, 2017

Pregnancy and PMDD

Ideally, we think PMDD should go away during pregnancy, and for many lucky ladies, it does indeed. Unfortunately, it doesn't for everyone. In fact, it can even get worse during pregnancy for some. The theories on this are vast. I'll cover my take on it stemming from the research I've done, personal experience and my conversations with hundreds of PMDD ladies over the years.

Some of us aren't just suffering from PMDD, but from Progesterone Intolerance, as well. Those ladies will not experience relief during pregnancy, because your progesterone literally runs sky high while you're expecting. You can read an article I wrote on this topic here: http://www.babygaga.com/15-little-known-signs-of-progesterone-intolerance-during-pregnancy/

Likewise, many women experience a shift in hormones again following the birth of their child that sends them into a tailspin. The baby blues are common and affect some 80 percent of women. They'll also pass within a week or two. If you're in the throws of this and it's not going away, that's more akin to a postpartum mood disorder, like postpartum depression/anxiety or postpartum psychosis. Don't forget, a lot of women also first develop PMDD after having a baby, too. Another piece on that here: http://www.babygaga.com/postpartum-mood-madness-14-signs-its-pmdd/

For me, pregnancy with PMDD was blissful. I am fortunately not progesterone intolerant. However, I should not that my PMDD seemed to be on its way to recovery a couple cycles before I got pregnant. But there was a definite shift once I was. The PMDD was gone.

Postpartum, I did experience the baby blues. I've never felt lower. For me, PMDD has brought depressive episodes, but the depths to which this depression brought were far more heartbreaking. It wasn't just about lethargy and fatigue and wallowing in sad music in my bedroom. Add to that the lack of desire to hold your own newborn, and the feelings it brings are quite devastating.Luckily, that passed, but I will note that I STRONGLY encourage women with PMDD (all women really) to encapsulate their placentas postpartum or save them for frozen smoothies. Within 24 hours of starting my placenta pills, my baby blues had vanished. Certainly, I have known women with PMDD that did not respond well to their placenta. The Traditional Chinese Method of encapsulation does seem to go easier on most than the raw variant, though.

Throughout pregnancy, I had no highs and lows. Everything was consistent. My sex drive was higher than it had been in years. I had energy and an even bigger change for me: I wanted to spend time outside. Anyone who knows me knows this isn't my norm. I am usually very heat intolerant, but I actually enjoyed the summer while pregnant. My little one is 19 months old now. Yes, I've been absent from my blog entirely too long. The events that have transpired since his birth are worth several journal entries of their own, so I'll cut off here.

Love,
Danielle


No comments:

Post a Comment