Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Preparing to TTC!!

The beau and I have finally reached a point in both our relationship and professional lives where it seems like we're ready to expand our family. No, two kids are not enough :) I spent last week getting my teeth cleaned, annual x-rays, and whatnot, before hopping over to my Nurse Practitioner's office to discuss my hormones, and a slew of other maladies that could spring up in pregnancy. I've got a knack for UTI's and kidney infections when I'm pregnant. No sooner does one clear up than another appears. Somehow, it's still amazingly worth it.

I'm off to the OB tomorrow for a lovely pap smear and a little pre-conception chit-chat. Then labs... check the thyroid, the sex hormones, the kidney and liver functions, mineral levels, etc. I've found in discussing these things with female friends that very few are aware they should be doing these things, especially women with hormone problems!

In this day and age, you cannot rely on your physician. Long gone are the days where you could trust that every Doctor knows what they're talking about. Legitimately, there probably never was such a day, but people were more comfortable with such in days gone by. Educate yourself. Doctors take an oath to treat you, sure, but somewhere in the mix, they take a super secret oath they don't tell you about where they agree to serve and protect insurance companies while lining their own pockets too! JK, but seriously, all jokes aside, do some research. Stop being afraid of being wrong. No one is ever going to care about your wellbeing as much as you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment