Sunday, December 1, 2013

PMDD: My Physical Symptoms

My regular physical symptoms include: bloating- so much that I have a closet full of pants in three sizes, because I blow up, gaining an average of 6 or 7 lbs a month, sometimes only 4 or 5, some months- 10! As soon as my period comes, by day 1 to 2 of my cycle, the bloating is gone. Another lovely physical symptoms- acne. I'm grateful that mine isn't too bad, but I do get breakouts that half of the month, which don't help me to feel any better about my appearance.

Fatigue. Understand when I say this, I do not mean I'm a little groggy at work, or I have a harder time getting up in the morning. Some days, I don't get up. More than some, I get up, but spend the rest of my day in sweats on the sofa. Headaches. Fortunately, I usually only get these during my period, but they still suck, and last all day. Often, I have to lay in a dark room half of the day. I can't tolerate light or loud noises. I suppose they're full on migraines most of the time. Medicine doesn't work usually. They're awful and last usually about 3 days.

My appetite fluctuates a ton over the month. During my period week, I usually have less of one. The week after, I eat pretty healthy. The following week, I won't want junk as much, nor will I want to eat as often. The last week of my cycle though, I want to eat all the time. Every 2-3 hours, I'm snacking. I try to balance this week with some healthy choices, because that's the best I can do. Sometimes, I literally eat chips for a meal. If I wake up and I'm craving soup, salsa, chocolate cake, whatever, and it's 9am- I eat it anyway. Trying to ignore my cravings will only make me more irritable (trust me, this is something you do not want to happen).

I get hot flashes, night sweats, and can't tolerate cold/heat often throughout the luteal phase (ovulation through day 1 of the next cycle). I can be in lightweight, short-sleeved clothing in a room where everyone else is cold and in sweatshirts and I'll be sweating. Talk about uncomfortable, unattractive, and annoying. Breast tenderness. This used to be so bad that I didn't even want to put my bra on or take it off. Forget about touching them! I wore sports bras- a lot! TMI alert: I get diarrhea every month right around ovulation, and again when my period is coming... double-over in pain, with cramps so bad they sometimes make me throw up. It's lovely.

Here is a list of symptoms, with those I experience highlighted in bold, taken from Hopkins Medicine, see this link:
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Bloating
  • Constipation
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Pelvic heaviness or pressure
  • Backache
  • Acne
  • Neurodermatitis (skin inflammation with itching)
  • Aggravation of other skin disorders, including cold sores
  • Headache
  • Vertigo
  • Syncope (fainting)
  • Numbness, prickling, tingling, or heightened sensitivity of arms and/or legs
  • Easy bruising
  • Heart palpitations
  • Muscle spasms
  • Decreased coordination
  • Painful menstruation
  • Diminished libido (sex drive)
  • Appetite changes
  • Food cravings
  • Hot flashes
  • Visual disturbances
  • Conjunctivitis
  • Edema (swelling of the ankles, hands, and feet)
  • Periodic weight gain
  • Oliguria (diminished urine formation)
  • Breast fullness and pain
  • Irritability
  • Nervousness
  • Lack of control
  • Agitation
  • Anger
  • Insomnia
  • Difficulty in concentrating
  • Lethargy
  • Depression
  • Severe fatigue
  • Anxiety
  • Confusion
  • Forgetfulness
  • Decreased self-image
  • Paranoia
  • Emotional hypersensitivity
  • Crying spells
  • Moodiness
  • Sleep disturbances

No comments:

Post a Comment